Konigliche Porzellan-Manufaktur (KPM)
‘Esther’ A Fine Berlin (KPM) Porcelain Plaque, After Hering Levanon
'Esther' - A Fine Berlin (KPM) Porcelain Plaque, After Hering Levanon. In a carved giltwood and composition frame. Signed 'Wagner', impressed sceptre...
DimensionsHeight: 42.8 cm (17 in)
Width: 35.5 cm (14 in)
‘Esther’ – A Fine Berlin (KPM) Porcelain Plaque, After Hering Levanon. In a carved giltwood and composition frame.
Signed ‘Wagner’, impressed sceptre mark, KPM, letter C, numeral 3, incised 137 / 156.
The famous Wagner family of porcelain painters working from Starhemberggasse in Vienna were particularly noted for their fine detail and historicist portraits after famous artists such as Asti and Delaroche.
German, Circa 1890.
Dimensions of Plaque
Height: 23.5 cm | 9 1/4 inches
Width: 16.2 cm / 6 3/8 inches
Signed 'Wagner' | impressed sceptre mark | KPM | letter C | numeral 3 | incised 137 / 156.
Founded in Berlin in 1750 ‚‘KPM‚’ or ‘Koenigliche Porzellan-Manufaktur’ acquired its name and Royal patronage when the Prussian king, Frederick the Great, purchased the manufactory in 1760.
Its distinguished trademark from then on became the royal blue sceptre, which is stamped (painted prior to 1837) on every piece. All painted pieces produced by KPM are signed by the painter.
The complicated and exacting process of painting on porcelain became very popular in the mid to late nineteenth century. Drawing inspiration from old master portraits and genre scenes, artists were able to achieve incredible images embued with a luminous beauty through the translucent quality of the porcelain.
KPM porcelain represented the height of technical and artistic achievement during this period and large plaques particularly signed examples have become rare and highly sought after.