A Pair of Gilt and Patinated Bronze Ewers in the Manner of Clodion
A Pair of Gilt and Patinated Bronze Ewers in the Manner of Clodion, by Maison Giroux. Signed ‘Alph. Giroux Paris’. Each ewer having a tapering...
DimensionsHeight: 56 cm (23 in)
Width: 25 cm (10 in)
Depth: 18 cm (8 in)
A Pair of Gilt and Patinated Bronze Ewers in the Manner of Clodion, by Maison Giroux.
Signed ‘Alph. Giroux Paris’.
Each ewer having a tapering ovoid body finely cast with a patinated bronze band depicting a Bacchic procession between bands of fruited vines, the gilt-bronze neck and spout lavishly ornamented with grapes and vines and surmounted by a winged amorini above a scrolled handle terminating in a finely cast rams head, raised on a circular waisted socle cast with acanthus and further vines and put down on a circular bases.
French, Circa 1850.
Gilt and Patinated Bronze
Signed Alph. Giroux Paris
Maison Giroux was founded by Francois-Simon-Alphonse Giroux in 1799 at 7 rue du Coq-Saint-Honoré, Paris. The store, specialising in small luxury goods and curiosities, expanded rapidly in the first half of the nineteenth century.
Francois oversaw the manufacture and design of small items of furniture until his death in 1848. He won the ‘Prix de Rome’ in 1825, and a silver medal at the Paris Exhibition of 1834.
Under the direction of Giroux’s sons, Alphonse-Gustave and André, the company flourished and became by the late 1860’s one of the most pre-eminent Parisian Maison de Haute Luxe (luxury stores).
In 1867, Ferdinand Duvinage, a cousin of Alphonse-Gustave and André, took over the management of the business alongside a Mr Harinkouck.
Ledoux-Lebard, Denise. Les Ebénistes du XIX siècle, Les Editions de l’Amateur, (Paris), 1984; pps. 223-30.
D. Kisluk – Grosheide. Maison Giroux and its ‚‘Oriental‚’ Marquetry Technique, The journal of the furniture history society, vol. XXXV, 1999, p. 147-172.