A Fine Pair of Small Vases with Covers
A Pair of Sèvres Style Gilt-Bronze Mounted Two Handled Vases with Covers, each painted with a continuous scene within a 'jewelled' gilt and bleu celeste...
DimensionsHeight: 31 cm (13 in)
Width: 17 cm (7 in)
Depth: 14 cm (6 in)
A Pair of Sèvres Style Gilt-Bronze Mounted Two Handled Vases with Covers, each painted with a continuous scene within a ‘jewelled’ gilt and bleu celeste border.
The front of each vase features two women and a man. The reverse of each vase is similarly decorated, one with two women and the other with a woman and a man. The vases stand on a spirally cast circular foot and the domed cover terminates in a pine cone finial.
The Sèvres Porcelain Manufactory was founded to the east of Paris in the disused Royal Château of Vincennes, late in 1739-40. and moved to the village of Sèvres, west of Paris in 1756, en route to King Louis XV’s palace of Versailles.
Here it was also adjacent to Louis’s mistress Madame de Pompadour’s own château at Bellevue. She was delighted with the factory’s new location – as she knew she could entice Louis to take a greater interest in it when it was so near their own residences. Indeed, the King became such a keen patron of the factory that, when it ran into financial difficulties, he bought out the shareholders and became the sole proprietor. The factory remained a royal enterprise until the French Revolution, when it was nationalised.
The popularity of the Louis XV style during the nineteenth century led to a number of companies in and around Paris, creating exceptional Sèvres-Style porcelain based on eighteenth century models and to the same exceptional quality. Often these pieces were of exhibition quality and scale, and finely painted by the best studio painters of the day such as Robert, Desprez and Poitevin.