About Louchet Frères

Paul Louchet (French, 1854-1936) exhibited at the Paris Salon from 1882 to 1931. He was a painter, engraver, jeweller and bronzier.

In 1878 he established, with Henri Louchet, the maison Louchet Frères which specialised in bronze-making. Paul was president of the French bronze manufacturers’ association. In 1884 he was joined by his brother Charles. They sign ‘Louchet Fondeur Paris’, ‘Paris Louchet Ciseleur’ and with the stamp ‘Louchet’.

Louchet Frères exhibited bronze works of art at the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair. Adopting the Art Nouveau style, they collaborated with Louis Majorelle, René Lalique and the Daum brothers. At the 1900 Paris International Exhibition they exhibited Art Nouveau bronzes and objects. At the Liège International Exhibition in 1905, Louchet exhibited jewellery and ceramics with gilt metal plating, vases and small bronzes, and were awarded a Grand Prix.

Louchet’s Stand in the French section of the Palace of Manufactures, Louisiana Purchase Exhibition, St. Louis 1904 World Fair. (D83313 St. Louis Public Library, Public Domain)

They had a shop at 3 rue Auber and premises at 20 rue Notre-Dame de Nazareth, then at 8 rue Boudreau from around 1905, from when until around 1920 Paul was succeeded by his son Robert Louchet.

Literature:
E. & R. Kashley, Nineteenth Century French and Western European Sculpture in Bronze, New York, p. 278.

Louchet Frères