Tiffany & Co
A Set of Four Silver-Gilt Oval Platters
A Set of Four Silver-Gilt Oval Platters by Tiffany & Co. New York. Each platter with a gadroon and acanthus border and bearing the initial 'K'.
DimensionsHeight: 5 cm (2 in)
Width: 5 cm (2 in)
Depth: 40 cm (16 in)
A Set of Four Silver-Gilt Oval Platters by Tiffany & Co. New York. Each platter with a gadroon and acanthus border and bearing the initial ‘K’.
Impressed mark for 1956-1965 and numbered 59798'.
Charles Lewis Tiffany and John Young founded Tiffany & Co in New York in 1837. In the 1840s, the enterprise was joined by a third partner, Charles’s cousin J.L. Ellis, who brought an infusion of cash and the name was changed to Tiffany, Young & Ellis.
Tiffany’s tireless search for one-of-a-kind objects charmed and fascinated the wealthy of New York from the outset. After the retirement of Young, Chalres bought out Ellis and was later joined by his son Louis Comfort Tiffany; Tiffany & Co were to became America’s pre-eminent house of design and the world’s premier jeweller at the end of the Nineteenth Century.
By 1867 Tiffany & Co were recognised globally winning the highly coveted Award of Merit at the Paris Exposition Universelle in 1867. This was the first time an American company had been recognised by a European jury.