Auguste-Maximillian Delafontaine

BIOGRAPHY

The foundry was established in Paris in the late eighteenth century by Jean-Baptiste-Maximilien Delafontaine and, by 1870 is listed as being located at 10 Rue de l'Universite.

The Delafontaine foundry produced decorative works of art of the highest quality and was one the the most renowned of all the Parisian foundries. They were the main competitor to the Barbedienne foundry, casting works by some of the leading sculptors of the nineteenth century including Antoine-Louis Bayre, James Pradier and Mathurin Moreau. Works cast by Delafontaine remain in the collection of the Louvre and other leading museums.

Auguste-Maximilien Delafontaine, 1813-1892, was the grandson of the founder, and during his time at the foundry pieces were stamped 'AD' to the reverse on the bronze work.

Auguste was succeeded by his son Henri-Maximilien in 1884 and the foundry closed its doors in 1905.
READ MORE