A Fine Pair Of Gilt-Bronze And White Marble Ten-Light Candelabra After The Model by Pierre Gouthière, by Henri Picard. This fine pair of candelabra...
尺寸Height: 87 cm (35 in)
Diameter: 38 cm (15 in)
A Fine Pair Of Gilt-Bronze And White Marble Ten-Light Candelabra After The Model by Pierre Gouthière, by Henri Picard.
This fine pair of candelabra with marble urns, masks and scrolling candle arms is based on the celebrated model attributed to Pierre Gouthière which were supplied circa 1785 by the marchand-mercier Charles Darnault for the ‘Grand Salon’ or the ‘Salon du Jeu de Mesdames’ at Château de Bellevue. They are now in the Petit-Trianon at Versailles (P. Verlet, Les Bronzes Dorés Français du XVIIIe Siècle, Paris, 1987, p. 99, fig. 111). The bronze is stamped variously with the initials ‘PP’ for the important fondeur and doreur Henri Picard. A number of related gilt-bronze candelabra from this period have been found bearing both the ‘PP’ and ‘Picard’ stamp together.
Pierre Gouthière (1732 – 1813) son of a saddle maker, rose to become the most famous Parisian bronze chaser and gilder of the late 1700s, receiving commissions from some of the leading connoisseurs of his day. Like many successful apprentices, he married the widow of his first employer and took over his establishment. Success came quickly, and in November 1767 he received the title of doreur du roi (Gilder to the King) from Louis XV. Gouthière also supplied works to the Comte d’Artois, the Marquis de Marigny, and the marchand mercier Dominique Daguerre, among others. Gouthière was a master of chasing and invented a new type of gilding that left a matte finish. He combined polished with matte finishes to create varied effects on the surfaces of his bronzes. He made many types of objects, including furniture mounts, ornaments for mantelpieces and coaches, and mounts for porcelain or marble vases.
The gilt-bronze variously stamped 'PP'.
The important fondeur and doreur Henri Picard worked in Paris from 1831 to 1884, most notably for the Emperor Napoléon III. He was based in Paris at 6 rue Jarente from 1831 to 1839, before moving to 10 rue de la Perle. The firm was active until around 1890.
Celebrated for the high quality of his production, Henri Picard supplied many important patrons, including garnitures and table pieces for the petits appartements of Emperor Napoléon III at the Louvre. An important pair of twelve-light candelabra by Picard remain in the Musée du Louvre today.
Mestdagh, Camille & Lécoules, Pierre. L’Ameublement d’Art Français, 1850-1900, Les Editions de L’Amateur, (Paris), 2010; p 32.