Konigliche Porzellan-Manufaktur (KPM)


Alternate Text
  • Alternate Text
  • Alternate Text

Konigliche Porzellan-Manufaktur (KPM)

A Fine KPM Berlin Plaque of a Reclining Lady Reading

GERMANY, Circa 1880

REF No. B55891

Incised sceptre mark to the reverse and 'KPM'.

dimensions

Height :29 cm | 11³/₈ in
Width :39 cm | 15³/₈ in
Depth :5 cm | 2 in

description

A KPM Berlin Plaque with a Reclining Lady Reading Amongst a Rocky Wooden Landscape.

maker

Founded in Berlin in 1750 KPM or Koenigliche Porzellan-Manufaktur acquired its name and Royal patronage when the Prussian king, Frederick the Great, purchased the manufactory in 1760.
Its distinguished trademark from then on became the royal blue sceptre, which is stamped (painted prior to 1837) on every piece. All painted pieces produced by KPM are signed by the painter.
The complicated and exacting process of painting on porcelain became very popular in the mid to late nineteenth century. Drawing inspiration from old master portraits and genre scenes, artists were able to achieve incredible images embued with a luminous beauty through the translucent quality of the porcelain.
KPM porcelain represented the height of technical and artistic achievement during this period and large plaques particularly signed examples have become rare and highly sought after.

Konigliche Porzellan-Manufaktur (KPM)

A Fine KPM Berlin Plaque of a Reclining Lady Reading







Tel +44 (0)20 7495 2324