Hancock & Co. (1780 - )


Alternate Text
  • Alternate Text
  • Alternate Text
  • Alternate Text

Hancock & Co. (1780 - )

A Regency Six-Light Gilt-Bronze Chandelier

ENGLAND, Circa 1830

REF No. B66090

The branches numbered 1-6, the burners labelled 'HANCOCK & CO./ COCKSPUR ST/ LONDON/ MANUFACTURER', the links stamped OWB.

dimensions

Height :140 cm | 55¹/₈ in
Diameter :115 cm | 45¹/₄ in

description

A Regency Six-Light Gilt-Bronze Chandelier by Hancock & Co.

With a lotus leaf ceiling corona supporting a frosted and cut glass dish on six chains, the lotus cast branches with frosted glass tulip shades, with Colza oil urn reservoirs and anthemion motif ornament.
 

maker

Hancock, Shepherd and Rixon is listed as having premises at No.1 Cockspur Street, Charing Cross, London. It was an important and very successful chandelier manufacturer during the last part of the eighteenth century and the first half of the nineteenth century, with special appointments to the Emperor of Russia and King George III of England.
In 1819, the firm supplied a large chandelier to the Marquess of Westminster for his dining room at Eaton Hall, Cheshire.
In the 1830s, when the firm were known as Hancock and Rixon, it supplied 'One 4-light gold coloured antique lamp' for St. James's Palace on 29 June 1833 and on 31 December 1835 was recorded in the Windsor account books as having supplied four large chandeliers for the grand reception rooms at Windsor for William IV.
Makers Bibliography:
Mortimer, Martin, The English Glass Chandelier, Antique Collectors Club, (Woodbridge, UK), 2000.

Hancock & Co.

A Regency Six-Light Gilt-Bronze Chandelier







Tel +44 (0)20 7495 2324