Colin Et Cie.

BIOGRAPHY

Emile Colin was an independent foundry worker who, in the mid 19th century, worked for some of the best known sculptors in France, including Carrier-Belleuse, Pradier, Feuchère and Moreau.

In 1881, Emile Vie took over Gustave-Isaac Levy’s foundry and subsequently renamed it ‘E. Vie et Cie’. After several improvements and refurbishment's tothe company, Vie died shortly thereafter at the beginning of 1882. At this point Emile Colin took over the company renaming it ‘E.Colin et Cie’.

Under Emile’s leadership the foundry was situated out of 29 Rue de Sevigné. Emile kept on many of the designs which were used before his appointment, but made sure the foundry was known for its speciality in producing statues. In 1898, Emile retired from his position and was replaced a member of his family. This resulted in a renaming of the company to ‘M.Colin et Cie’. Emile died one year later in 1899 from illness.

At the beginning of the century the firm had a large reputation for its lighting manufacture and ornate bronzes designed by various artists. A shop specifically for the sale of electric lighting opened in 1893 at 32 Rue du Faubourg-Saint-Honoré. However the company still made statues and objects which were sent to the 1893 Chicago Exposition and other exhibitions in Paris. In 1900, the company was awarded a prize at the 1900 Exposition Universelle after which they began to concentrate again on contemporary bronze works of art. In 1906, the company changed hands again until in 1923 it reverted to Ancienne Maison Colin. In 1939 the shop and its contents were abandoned.

READ MORE