Alphonse Giroux

BIOGRAPHY

Maison Giroux was founded by François-Simon-Alphonse Giroux in 1799 at 7 rue du Coq-Saint-Honoré, Paris. The store, specialising in small luxury goods and curiosities, expanded rapidly in the first half of the nineteenth century,
Francois oversaw the manufacture and design of small items of furniture until his death in 1848. He won the Prix de Rome in 1825, and a silver medal at the Paris Exhibition of 1834.

Under the direction of Giroux's sons, Alphonse-Gustave and André, the company flourished and became by the late 1860's one of the most pre-eminent Parisian Maison de Haut Luxe (luxury stores).

In 1867, Ferdinand Duvinage, a cousin of Alphonse-Gustave and André, took over the management of the business alongside a Mr Harinkouck.

Makers Bibliography:
Denise Ledoux-Lebard, Les Ebénistes du XIX Siècle, Editions de l'Amateur, (Paris) 1984, pps. 223-30.
D. Kisluk - Grosheide, 'Maison Giroux and its Oriental Marquetry Technique', The journal of the furniture history society, vol. XXXV, 1999, p. 147-172.
READ MORE