A Fine Napoleon III Gilt Bronze and Porcelain Three Piece Clock Garniture
A Fine Napoleon III Gilt Bronze and Porcelain Three Piece Clock Garniture By Raingo Freres. A Fine Napoleon III Gilt Bronze and Porcelain Three Piece...
ابعادHeight: 80 cm (32 in)
A Fine Napoleon III Gilt Bronze and Porcelain Three Piece Clock Garniture By Raingo Freres.
A Fine Napoleon III Gilt Bronze and Porcelain Three Piece Clock Garniture by Raingo Freres. The circular gilt and ‘jewel’ decorated porcelain dial of the clock with Roman numerals and signed ‘Raingo Freres/Paris’. The ovoid case is painted with a turquoise ground and cartouches with putti and flowers. The body of the case is flanked by two ring-shaped handles and topped by a gilt bronze putto. The clock is raised on a rectangular bracket base fitted with two seated putto figures, and inset all around with porcelain panels depicting playing putti in various pursuits. The base stands on bun feet.
Each of the two accompanying five-light candelabrum have a similarly decorated ovoid body with foliate and floral cast scrolled candelarms issuing from a cluster of fruit. The candelabrum have decorated porcelain panels reserved on a ‘jewelled’ and gilt decorated ‘bleu celeste’ ground.
The Raingo Freres clockmakers had their workshop on Rue Vielle du Temple in 1829, and from 1840 to 1850 in Rue de Saintonge. After 1860 they moved again back to Rue Vielle du Temple where they started to sell bronzes. They exhibited at the London 1862 exhibition.
Paris, Circa 1850.
Height 69 cm / 27 inches
Width 41 cm / 16 inches
Depth 21 cm / 8 inches
Pair of Candelabra:
Height 80 cm / 32 inches
Width 15 cm / 6 inches
Depth 15 cm / 6 inches
حوالي عام 1850
البرونز المذهب والخزف
There were four Raingo brothers who began as clockmakers before expanding their business to encompass decorative bronze casting. It is not known which Raingo brother was apprenticed in Paris before moving to Belgium, circa 1800, probably for political reasons, and from the signatures on some of his clocks, it is known that he worked in Gand and Tournay. Later, in 1823, he is recorded as being clockmaker to the duc de Chartres.
The company became Raingo Frères in 1825 and thereafter clocks bear their signature with various Paris addresses. They had a workshop at 102 Rue Vielle du Temple in 1829, and from 1840 to 1850 in Rue de Saintonge. In the 1840s Raingo were accused of conterfiting Ruolz metal plating techinique which had been patented by Christofle. Specialising in the manufacture of clocks, for which they favoured sculptural ornament, and this led them to begin casting their own bronzes from the 1850s. After 1860 they moved again back to Rue Vielle du Temple where they started to sell bronzes, not from an edition but cast in a small number, generally marked with the stamp “R.F.” In 1880 the widow of Gabriel-Jules Raingo was joined her two sons, Eugène and Georges. This association was regularly extended until 1 January 1892. Eugène died in February 1895. Mme Raingo and her son Georges modified their company accordingly in July of the same year. Eugene’s rights are shared between Georges and his three sisters. The corporate name becomes “Raingo et Cie”, but the business name remains “Raingo Frères”.
The firm exhibited at many of the important exhibitions of the second half of the 19th century, including London in 1862 and Paris in 1900. Known for the fine quality of its ormolu in particular superb gilding and chasing, Raingo also cast large patinated bronze statuary for leading sculptors of the day including A. Carrier-Belleuse, Grégoire, Loison, Magnier, A. Moreau, Peyre, Pradier and Salmonson.
By the turn of the 20th century Raingo Frères are still recorded to be casting in bronze for a handful of artists, but by this time their mainstay was producing lighting along with artistic metalwork.