Established 1964

CHRISTOFLE

Charles Christofle, who took over the business of his brother-in-law Joseph-Albert Bouilhet, established Christofle as silversmiths in Paris in 1830.

From the beginning, in addition to his own design studio, Christofle sought out leading artists, sculptors and ornamentalists, as well as accomplished designers, to create extraordinary pieces and collections.

In 1840 the firm introduced to France the revolutionary technique of silver plating metal by electrolysis. The statues crowning the roof of the Garnier Opera House in Paris are among the most impressive examples of this pioneering technique.

Prestigious commissions from royalty and heads of state, including King Louis-Philippe and Napoleon III, bear witness to Christofle's success and reputation. Amongst other commissions Christofle made castings for a lady's writing desk displayed at the 1867 Paris Exhibition and also for a childs cradle purchased by Napoléon III.

Makers Bibliography:

Rosenberg, David, Christofle, Assouline, (London), 2006.

Ledoux - Lebard, Denise , Les Ébénistes du XIXe Siècle, Editions de L'Amateur, (Paris), 1984, p. 128.

Mestdagh, Camille & Lécoules, Peter, L'Ameublement d'Art Français, 1850-1900, Editions de L'Amateur (Paris), 2010.

Meyer, Jonathan, Great Exhibitions - London, New York, Paris, Philadelphia, 1851-1900, Antique Collectors' Club, (Woodbridge,UK), 2006.

Blair, Claude, The History of Silver, Ballantine Publishing Group, (New York), 1987.

Sibel Dorsan, Christofle: 'A legend revisited', Diplomat Monthly Magazine, 2006.

Items Per Page
Items Per Page
Refine By Size