Established 1964
Back

BACCARAT (worked from 1764) Full Bio

A Pair of Louis XVI Style Moulded-Glass Cherub Wall Appliqués

BACCARAT (worked from 1764) Full Bio

A Pair of Louis XVI Style Moulded-Glass Cherub Wall Appliqués

REF No. B74481

France, Circa 1890

H   55 cm | 21 in
W   36 cm | 14 in
D   41 cm | 16 in

Glass drip pans stamped ‘BACCARAT’.

Baccarat is the world's leading manufacturer of crystalware. Founded in 1764 under the patronage of Louis XV as Renault et Compagnie, the firm became known as the Compagnie des Cristalleries de Baccarat during the nineteenth Century.

The company began to flourish at the beginning of the Nineteenth Century, as the effects of the Napoleonic Wars abated, and its reputation was consolidated by the official approval from various sovereigns and heads of state. At the 1823 Exposition Nationale in Paris, it was Baccarat's crystalware that Louis XVIII was said to have particularly admired, appreciating its 'beautiful workmanship'.

It was Charles X's visit to the crystalworks in 1828 however that had the most significant repercussions for the company. Baccarat presented the monarch with a gift of two magnificent Medici Vases, a large crystal Ewer, a fifteen piece Tea Service and a five-piece Water Set. The king then ordered a dinner service for the Tuileries, while the Duchess d'Angoulême personally chose a set of eighteen glasses, described by her as '..sturdy, balanced, perfect'. Later Louis-Philippe and Napoléon II also visited the crystalworks and were followed by a succession of French presidents and foreign heads of state.

François-Eugène de Fontenay (who joined the company in 1841) discovered that by the addition of the nickel oxide in the manufacturing process, a perfectly clear product, 'crystal glass', free of discolouration and imitating precious rock crystal was produced. This is just one of many technical innovations and improvements discovered by Baccarat, that make it the company it is today.

The Baccarat company was awarded a Gold medal at the French Exposition des Produits de l'Industrie in 1855 and has continued to carry off the top prizes ever since. In 1867 they exhibited a gigantic fountain twenty four feet tall, with a basin ten feet in diameter, which it was said 'simply took visitors breath away'.

With the continuing improvement in their manufacturing standards, the quality of Baccarat's 'crystal glass' improved and reached the highest level by the end of the century, competing successfully with the Bohemian glass industry. Baccarat 'crystal glass' is highly regarded, not only for its unusual clarity, but also for its great solidity and weight.

Makers Bibliography:

La Compagnie des Cristalleries de Baccarat, Tarif des Articles d'Eclairage, (Paris), Edition 1903-4.

Curtis, Jean-Louis, Baccarat, Thames and Hudson, (London), 1992.

Meyer, Jonathan, Great Exhibitions: London, New York, Paris, Philadelphia, 1851-1900, Antique Collector's Club (Woodbridge, UK) 2006, p.263

Compagnie des Cristalleries de Baccarat: Tarif des Articles d’Eclairace; Paris, Edition 1903-4. Serie E.460, p.44.

Artist Biography

Baccarat is the world's leading manufacturer of crystalware. Founded in 1764 under the patronage of Louis XV as Renault et Compagnie, the firm became known as the Compagnie des Cristalleries de Baccarat during the nineteenth Century.

The company began to flourish at the beginning of the Nineteenth Century, as the effects of the Napoleonic Wars abated, and its reputation was consolidated by the official approval from various sovereigns and heads of state. At the 1823 Exposition Nationale in Paris, it was Baccarat's crystalware that Louis XVIII was said to have particularly admired, appreciating its 'beautiful workmanship'.

It was Charles X's visit to the crystalworks in 1828 however that had the most significant repercussions for the company. Baccarat presented the monarch with a gift of two magnificent Medici Vases, a large crystal Ewer, a fifteen piece Tea Service and a five-piece Water Set. The king then ordered a dinner service for the Tuileries, while the Duchess d'Angoulême personally chose a set of eighteen glasses, described by her as '..sturdy, balanced, perfect'. Later Louis-Philippe and Napoléon II also visited the crystalworks and were followed by a succession of French presidents and foreign heads of state.

François-Eugène de Fontenay (who joined the company in 1841) discovered that by the addition of the nickel oxide in the manufacturing process, a perfectly clear product, 'crystal glass', free of discolouration and imitating precious rock crystal was produced. This is just one of many technical innovations and improvements discovered by Baccarat, that make it the company it is today.

The Baccarat company was awarded a Gold medal at the French Exposition des Produits de l'Industrie in 1855 and has continued to carry off the top prizes ever since. In 1867 they exhibited a gigantic fountain twenty four feet tall, with a basin ten feet in diameter, which it was said 'simply took visitors breath away'.

With the continuing improvement in their manufacturing standards, the quality of Baccarat's 'crystal glass' improved and reached the highest level by the end of the century, competing successfully with the Bohemian glass industry. Baccarat 'crystal glass' is highly regarded, not only for its unusual clarity, but also for its great solidity and weight.

Makers Bibliography:

La Compagnie des Cristalleries de Baccarat, Tarif des Articles d'Eclairage, (Paris), Edition 1903-4.

Curtis, Jean-Louis, Baccarat, Thames and Hudson, (London), 1992.

Meyer, Jonathan, Great Exhibitions: London, New York, Paris, Philadelphia, 1851-1900, Antique Collector's Club (Woodbridge, UK) 2006, p.263

Literature

Compagnie des Cristalleries de Baccarat: Tarif des Articles d’Eclairace; Paris, Edition 1903-4. Serie E.460, p.44.

A Pair of Louis XVI Style Moulded-Glass Cherub Wall Appliqués
A Pair of Murano Glass Leaf-Form Wall Lights
A Pair of Patinated and Gilt-Bronze Three-Branch Wall Appliques
An Unusual Pair Of Neoclassical Three-Light Wall Appliques
A Pair of Gilt-Bronze Three-Branch Wall Lights
A Fine Set of Four Gilt-Bronze Three-Light Wall Appliqués
An Unusual Set of Four Gilt-Bronze Wall Appliques, depicting Roman Warriors
A Fine Pair of Gilt-Bronze Three-Light Wall Appliqués
A Fine Set of Four Louis XVI Style Five-Light Wall Appliqués
A Set of Four Gilt-Bronze Wall Lights in The Adam revival style
A Fine Set of Four Louis XVI Style Three-Branch Wall Appliqués
A Fine Set of Sixteen Louis XVI Style Five-Branch Wall Lights
A Rare Set of Twelve Gilt-Bronze Three-Light Wall Appliqués
A  Fine Pair of Louis XV Style Gilt-Bronze Three Light Wall Lights
Set of Six Louis XVI Style Gilt-Bronze Three-Light Wall Appliques
A Fine Pair of  Gilt-Bronze Three-Light Wall-Appliqués
A Fine Set of Four Cut Crystal Six-Light Wall Appliqués
A Magnificent Gilt-Bronze Four-Light Lion Mask Wall Applique
A Pair of Sèvres-Style Porcelain Mounted Three-Light Wall Appliques
A Fine Pair Of Art Deco Wall Appliques