Established 1964
Back

MARTIN, HALL & CO. (worked from 1820) Full Bio

A Fine EPNS Silver-Gilt Triple Decanter Set

MARTIN, HALL & CO. (worked from 1820) Full Bio

A Fine EPNS Silver-Gilt Triple Decanter Set

REF No. B72902

England, Circa 1865

H   40 cm | 15 in

Hallmarks for 'MH&Co' (Martin, Hall & Co) and 'EPNS'.

Martin, Hall & Co. was formed as a partnership between Henry Wilkinson and John Roberts, who started trading in 1820 under the name Wilkinson & Roberts. In 1836, Wilkinson left the business and in 1846 the firm became Roberts & Hall after John Roberts partnered with his apprentice Ebenezer Hall.

In 1854 Richard Martin (of Martin Brothers & Naylor) joined the partnership with Ebenezer Hall’s brother Joshua and the name then changed to Martin, Hall & Co.

The company was listed as manufacturing silversmiths and electroplated manufacturers, silver, plated and steel cutlers. The factory was based in Shrewsbury Works, Broad Street Park and had several showrooms in London, Birmingham Glasgow and Sydney.

The firm participated to the 1851 Great Exhibition, the International Exhibition (1862), the Sydney Exhibition (1879), the Melboune Exhibition (1881) and the 1915 British Industries Fair.

Following the first world war the firm went into liquidation in 1933 and finally closed in 1936.

Artist Biography

Martin, Hall & Co. was formed as a partnership between Henry Wilkinson and John Roberts, who started trading in 1820 under the name Wilkinson & Roberts. In 1836, Wilkinson left the business and in 1846 the firm became Roberts & Hall after John Roberts partnered with his apprentice Ebenezer Hall.

In 1854 Richard Martin (of Martin Brothers & Naylor) joined the partnership with Ebenezer Hall’s brother Joshua and the name then changed to Martin, Hall & Co.

The company was listed as manufacturing silversmiths and electroplated manufacturers, silver, plated and steel cutlers. The factory was based in Shrewsbury Works, Broad Street Park and had several showrooms in London, Birmingham Glasgow and Sydney.

The firm participated to the 1851 Great Exhibition, the International Exhibition (1862), the Sydney Exhibition (1879), the Melboune Exhibition (1881) and the 1915 British Industries Fair.

Following the first world war the firm went into liquidation in 1933 and finally closed in 1936.

A Champlevé Enamel and Gilt-Bronze Mounted Jardinière
A Napoleon III Cut-Glass, and Gilt-Bronze Mounted Epergne
An Unusual Pair of Silver-Gilt Cup and Covers
A Large Gilt-Bronze Mounted Algerian Onyx Jardinière
A Marquetry Inlaid Walnut Kettle Stand and Cover
A Gothic Revival Burr Oak and Bronze Book Tray
A Fine Composite Set of Drinking Glasses
A Rare Russian Patinated Bronze Bust of Napoleon
A Napoleon III Gilt-Bronze and Agate Glass Tazza
A Napoleon III Gilt-Bronze & Glass Tazza
A Fine Pair of Gilt-Bronze Mounted Cloisonne Urns and Cover
A Palais Royale Gilt-Bronze and Mother of Pearl Toilet Mirror
A Napoleon III Gilt-Bronze and White Marble Three-Piece Garniture
A Fine Cloisonné Enamel and Gilt-Bronze Mounted Jardinière
A Napoléon III Gilt-Bronze and Champlevé Enamel Centrepiece
A Fine Neo-Grec Gilt and Silvered Bronze Two-Handled Tazza
An Unusual Charles X Spirit or Perfume Dispenser
A Pair of Louis XVI Style Gilt-Bronze and Marble Cassolettes
An Important and Monumental Louis-Philippe Verre Opaline Vase
An Unusual Bohemian Amber Flash Cut-Glass Table Service